Hi Carol,

I/we are already users and contributors to the ImageMagick and
GraphicsMagick projects as well as the GIMP.  Both of those programs and the
GIMP have certain key strengths and weaknesses with respect to each other,
such that they are certainly not direct substitutes in *many* respects.
That was certainly the case with our previous need regarding command line
execution of a Gimp script under Windows.  For another example, the GIMP can
handle the size of our larger image files under Windows, while IM and GM
still cannot.  (IM and GM pixel representation in memory is always at least
40 bit (8x5), while the GIMP allows 8 bit memory representation, allowing
roughly 5 times more pixels to be manipulated under Windows).

It is utterly ridiculous that simply because I voiced concerns about and
would like for the ability to have gimp scripts execute properly from the
command line under Windows that you accuse me of "making the GIMP suck".
The suggestions that I offered earlier this evening were only thrown out for
consideration, and I didn't try to force those down anyone's throat.  All
that I asked was that GIMP developers try to give adequate consideration to
the needs of Windows based gimp users rather than selecting an
implementation that I was worried might have an adverse impact.

Some bias towards Linux and other Unix based systems is completely
understandable and acceptable to everyone.  We all appreciate the
deficiencies of Windows and its poor record of adhering to standards (though
there are *many* similar examples in the *nix world as well).  We also
appreciate that the Linux community is making the biggest share of
contributions to the GIMP development effort.

What I don't appreciate, is your apparent lack of sympathy towards users who
have *no* choice but to run under Windows (for any of numerous reasons) and
who simply desire to use the gimp (just as you claim to), and to help
enhance it to meet *their* needs, just as you enhance it to meet your own
needs under Linux.  The gimp is an open source product, and is also
supported and developed by Windows users, not just *nix heads.  So what
gives you the right to presume that only *nix developers can own and control
the GIMP (as your comments seem to imply), and to ignore the needs of
Windows based users and the feedback and proposals of Windows based
contributors?

Your statements seem to imply that any user or organization who doesn't like
the lack of certain GIMP features under Windows can just switch right over
to Linux at a moments notice, and that simply is NOT the case in many
situations.  For example, in our own situation, we use several extremely
complex, industry specific technical applications that simply do not exist
for Linux.  Other programs that we use do have Linux counterparts, but would
require numerous man years of retraining, redevelopment of supporting
applications, and data conversion in order to switch over, and many are
*very* expensive applications that are *not* public domain, even under
Linux, which we cannot afford to replace.  Also, we can't afford a bunch of
duplicate hardware to run both operating systems in parallel, nor can our
work flows stand the wasted time of constantly rebooting to switch between
applications running under the different operating systems.  From an
ideological standpoint, we would *love* to switch to Linux, immediately!!!
>From a practicality and expense standpoint, we just can't do it, and there
are many other folks in exactly the same boat.  To presume otherwise is to
assume that you know everyone else's business better than they do, and I
guarantee that you do NOT.

Our view seems to be quite different from yours.  We believe that Windows
based GIMP users should be able to make contributions (which BTW include
comments and suggestions) that allow the gimp to work as effectively for us
under Windows as it does for other folks under Linux, and *of course* at the
same time not to do anything that would adversely impact Linux users.
Apparently there are lots of other gimp users and contributors who feel the
same way as we do.  What doesn't seem right is that *some* Linux based
developers don't seem to have any problem implementing features in such a
way that it precludes effective use under Windows when it doesn't need to,
or reject proposed development efforts by others that would benefit Windows
users simply because there is no perceived benefit to the *nix community.

I'm not saying at all that has happened in this specific instance regarding
the issues that I raised earlier this evening and the subsequent discussion.
What I am saying Carol, is that some of you appear to be having a rather
knee jerk reaction against someone else who is merely trying to help the
GIMP better support the operating system that they are using, no different
than anyone else who might happen to be using some other OS.  If the
approach that I suggested won't work or will cause real problems under
another OS, that's fine.  But what isn't fine is to say in essence "we don't
care about Windows users and contributors, and we're not going to listen to
their input", which is basically what I got out of your reply.

s/KAM