Sven Neumann wrote:
now that 2.0.0 is released, it's about time to make some plans for the
future. IMHO, we should try to come up with a roadmap that is clear
and detailed for the next months and reasonably vague for the time
thereafter. We can then make precise plans for the time after 2.2 at

I think we should have a good chat now about post-2.2, since the work of others in the meantime (Dan and Calvin) will depend on that plan. But that can be sufficiently vague as "Dan's plan sounds sane, we'll go that way", and set up 3 or 4 major milestones after 2.2 when we can do stable releases.

 - Do a 2.0.1 release in about two weeks.
   And IMO we should not branch CVS before 2.0.1 is released.

- Do a 2.2 release in about three months.

I think that's unrealistically short at this stage. There are people who have said that they want to do some concrete and long-standing TODO items, and 6 weeks to 2 months is not enough time to get most of those done and debugged properly.

One example of something which would definitely miss 2.2 if we release in June
is libpdb, and I doubt that a preview widget would make it in either (it would
depend on the amount of free time David Odin has, and how well he can
co-ordinate with Ernst). I wouldn't be able to commit to getting the pretty
small feature I said I'd do in that time scale either, particularly with gimpcon
preparations underway.

Setting up a 3 month release cycle sets us up for GTK+ 2.4 migration, committing
outstanding features with patches attached, and maybe re-arranging the menus
again. I don't see any major features going in in such a short cycle.

Plus one of the objectives of 2.2 was to have complete coverage for docs - that
seems unrealistic for June.

I would prefer to see us set ourselves up for a 6 month cycle and stick to it,
rather than a 3 month cycle that we know is going to end up as 6 months in the end.

Dave Neary