[This is a re-sent because my reent mails had been sent for moderation ut
never appeared on-list: is the list still moderated?]

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 03:23:02PM +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> And, you aren't seriously trying to argue that the new GtkFileChooser
> would be worse than the old file selection widget, are you? That used

Lots of people have expressed that the new filechooser feels worse for
them.  I, for example, as a heavy unix shell user (probably a totally
unimportant part of the gimp user community as I am no graphics artist),
still find the old (gtk+-1) file dialogs much easier and more intuitive to
use, with less clutter. The best file dialogs ever, because they never got
in my way. The new (gtk+-2.6) dialogs _do_ come in my way. They work like
ms windows, they feel like ms windows, and they feel clumsy, in the parts
that I use: entering filenames.

(Despite still blocking for ages due to excessive stat() ing for remote
filesystems not in the directory I started them, and many more minor
annoyances that certainly _will_ be fixed, or at least be improved, but
still make it slow business with gtk+-2.6.4).

Other things (workflow) will not get fixed because the target (me!) is not
the majority, and not important either. But that doesn't magically make
the dialogs useful for me and claiming so again and again makes that more
and more grotesque.

> to be the case with the early implementations but certainly not with
> the latest GTK+ 2.6 releases. The file dialog is getting better and
> better with each release.

You keep repeating this as if it were some kind of religion - why do you
ignore the people who simply disagree? Of course the new dialogs have many
more features, but they are _much_ less usable for _some_ people. This is
a simple fact.

You should really accept that, even if it works for you, and even if you
cannot understand it.

--
                The choice of a