On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:14:03AM +0200, Dennis Bjorklund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > One thing is that people, and _many_ people, just want their location
> > entry back, for lots of reasons: discoverability, pastability and so
> > on. But for some reason this simply does not happen.
> Do you want this only in gimp or in all programs that use the gtk+
> widgets and dialogs?

My understanding is that the dialog (mostly) resides in gtk+, and yes, I
would want this functionality everywhere.

> I think the gtk dialog can be made better and should be improved for all
> applications, not just gimp.

> * In fedora 3 I can type in a filename and it selects that file in the
> file tree view and it just works. It does not work with full paths so I

At leats in gtk+-2.6 (probably earlier, too), you can start typing the path
and a location window will pop up. For absolute paths, start with "/".

> never do this). If one fixes so one can type in any path directly, and not
> just filenames in the current selected dir, then the Ctrl-L is not needed
> anymore.

That should be done in gtk+-2.6 already.

> * The file tree view does not always have input focus when the dialog is
> opened. So sometimes when I type in a filename the focus is in the
> bookmark part of the dialog and it matches a bookmark instead.

I guess if the focus is that inconsistent you should check wether it's still
behaving that way in gtk+-2.6 and report it as a bug if it is.

> I've not filed any bugs for the above and I don't know if maybe this have
> already been improved in later versions of gtk+ then what's in FC3.  It's
> simply not a big enough problem for me that I've done that but I still
> would want these things to be improved.

Well, eventually newer versins will arrive at your desktop. If you report it
by then that should be fine. The more annoying a problem is the earlier it
will be reported (and, unfortunately more often).

> The battle for you to fight is with gtk2 and not with gimp. If gimp
> started to use another dialog then what other gtk2 programs did, then
> people would start a fight about that.

I'm not trying to battle with either the gimp or gtk+. I am trying to
battle the continuous attitude of neglecting that there are problems for
some users.

My understanding here is that the new file dialog has nice features that
improve it for many users. I am willing to pay the price of having a less
optimal interface in favour of supporting "most" (hopefully) other users.

The reasoning is that I often have a different workflow than "the majority"
so what's good for me is not necessarily good for others. One could change
behaviou base don some preferences, but that would priarily be my job to
code. As long as I don't code it as I want it, I cannot complain that others
don't do it for me.

I think I can complain, however, whe other people claim that problems don't

> For you reverting to the old dialog is a solution,
If I think about it, yes, that would be by far the best solution for me.
> for me that would make
> the dialog a lot worse.

I am fully aware of some features beign useful to others. That's why I always
and clearly wrote "me" when refering to the usefulness of any such features.

> be improved so most of us are happy in the future. If not, then what do
> you suggest? Either way you choose someone will be unhappy.

No, you can still go the preferences way and support both (or more) UI
interactions. I am not complaining about missing code, I am merely
complaining about neglecting that problems exist repeatedly, which
unncessarily drives people mad.

The most negative side effect of such comments is that you get endless
threads on the issue: every comment of the style "it works" will provoke
reactions like "no, it doesn't."

                The choice of a
      ----==-- _       generation     Marc Lehmann
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      [EMAIL PROTECTED]