On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:58:35PM -0400, woc wrote:
> On 8/24/05, michael chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Perl probably has similar limitations, to a certain extent.  Perl
> > handles text best -- binary data, it's best at simply passing... I
> > believe the term is ad verbatim or something.
> So it takes a second or two to convert an image using perl.  Longer
> if it's a format varient where pixels adjacent visually aren't stored adjacent
> to each other, or some of those format variants. This costs what, a few
> minutes out of a day?  Anyone using this image format is going to have
> to spend considerably longer than that just to load it into the
> environment which uses these images.
> Speed is not one of my priorities.  Simplicity is.

You can use Perl or Python to write a file format plugin. Script-fu is a
nonstarter, there's no way to register a load/save handler from a script
(though there could be in the future). Script-fu sucks for this for
other reasons, as others have told you already.

You can actually do things with reasonable efficiency in both Perl and
Python, since you get the pixel region abstraction just as you do in C.
There's a save plugin example that comes with both the Perl and Python