Scripsit Øyvind Kolås

> Within the current gimp architecture you are asking for the job that
> op would be performing to be done in a display filter, with a fixed
> pallete (whilst working in RGB mode). This would cause all work being
> done on the image to be displayed with the reduced palette. Thus allow
> you to work "non-indexed" but see a reduced pallete result in
> realtime.

No - I don't only want to _see_ a reduced-palette result; I want to
actually _get_ a reduced-palette result. With an action purely on the
display level, I cannot see or correct inaccuracies on the underlying
pixel data; I cannot be sure that when I use the colorpicker tool it
is the standard color that I see that gets picked up, etc.

Additionally, it _would_ be rather cool to have the pixel data in each
layer be quantized but still be able to select partial layer opacities
while editing.

Henning Makholm                     "The practical reason for continuing our
                                  system is the same as the practical reason
                          for continuing anything: It works satisfactorily."