GSR wrote:

There are other apps for icons too (a from scratch task in some cases,
btw).

We are sure that icons will be first constructed as vector graphics
and then finished in GIMP.

Seeing that one and not seeing painting, colouring or creating
textures looked strange among all the other more photo-related tasks
specially when for past years people have being colouring their
comics, creating textures for 3d art and so on with gimp.

Again you are taking things too literal.

Not having your exact personal use case named one of the essential
for GIMP does not mean we are going to forget about you.

We are covering thousands of specific use cases for GIMP by
the sheer number of linear combinations you can make from the
essential use cases we are considering. That's the power of
the methods I use.

But to save GIMP from the dying like a dinosaur, we had to
set some priorities.

    --ps

        principal user interaction architect
        man + machine interface works