On Feb 17, 2008 5:46 AM, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 10:47 -0800, Bill Skaggs wrote:
>
> > Well, it would be very easy to make the layer mode menu
> > support a tearoff.  It can literally be done by adding two
> > lines of C code.  (I just tested.)
>
> There are very good reasons why tear-off menus are deprecated. They
> don't solve usability issues but introduce them. Please let us not even
> consider such ugly workarounds.

I agree that tear-off menus are ugly -- I think the sensible thing to
do is tear-off toolbars. For this, of course it helps if every menu
item has an icon assigned. I think that if tear-off behaviour was
changed like this then it would encourage icon coverage, and
particularly, encourage users to contribute icons. If we can then
rearrange this toolbar and hide items from it*, that would be ideal
for the modes menu. Is there a toolbar equivalent of separators?

* for example, I never use Hard Light, Soft Light, or Overlay; and
scarcely use Screen. I use Normal, Grain Merge, Grain Extract, Darken
Only, Lighten Only most, so I'd like them first on the toolbar.
Similarly for the Select menu, I prefer my own potrace-based 'to path'
command and find GIMP's sel2path plugin rather annoyingly inaccurate,
and I also prefer my 'exact grow','exact shrink' commands to the GIMP
grow/shrink commands.

hmm.
Maybe a popup toolbar would be best for common usage. So you could
easily scroll it back and forth while it's just occupying only 1
button space, and get a visual menu with tooltips by activating it.