On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Daniel Hornung wrote:
> On Saturday 28 March 2009, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
>> That's the whole point. You don't want to crop the image, you want to
>> enlarge it. That's exactly why we moved this functionality out of the
>> Crop tool. A user who wants to enlarge the image is never going to look
>> for this in the Crop tool. It simply does not belong there.
>
> If I understand Sampo correctly, he would like to see
> c) crop only the canvas
> which is what Image > Canvas size does already, but not in a very graphical
> way (or with Simon's workaround).

My point exactly.  I want to _crop_ the image (take only a part of the
whole image), but I want the layers to stay the same.  I think it natural
that the crop tool would be the correct tool for both cropping the canvas
and cropping the canvas plus layers (as was previously possible).

I practically never use the option of expanding the image using the crop
tool (which is provided for in 2.6), since you can't even see the image
from the area that you are enlarging.  (This feature would be more useful
if the image within the crop area was shown also beyond the canvas during
enlarging.)