Graeme Gill (grae...@argyllcms.com) wrote (in part)  (on 2009-06-25 at
20:34):
Martin Nordholts wrote:
> While this and the rest of your mail is true and I agree, one could > argue that users of a high-end app still want to be in complete control > of when an image composition is written to disk for whatever reason. Or > perhaps I'm just too backwards... :)

Not just high end apps, all apps. Since Open/Edit/Save is
the dominant paradigm, any application that works in
a different way is going to be the odd one out, and
will drive users insane.
I'm not a developer nor programmer and applications which use or were changed to use immediate commit to database in a new version caused me some conceptual problems when first encountered. (eg "libraries" in JGSoft's RegexBuddy, database for Website-Watcher, database in PIM InfoQube - aka SQLNotes, captured clips in ClipCache Plus and bookmarks in Firefox 3).

However, once I've convinced myself that the save to database *is* happening and *is* reliable, the switch to the alternate paradigm turns out to be exactly what I want. If I exit having forgotten to save or the application crashes or has to be manually terminated or even it the system blue-screens no fears or worries about what work may have been lost. How could life be any better?

Whether this is possible or feasible with a graphics application like GIMP I leave to better minds than mine.

--
Regards ... Alec   (bura...@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burg...@skype)