>The only thing that matters when it comes to deciding what to include
>and what not to include in GIMP is our product vision. If something
>helps us fulfil our product vision, we will keep it in GIMP 3.0. If it
>doesn't, we will remove it.   / Martin

that for what  doesn't fit in the GIMP product vision

But why wait to eliminate a plugin that doesn't fit in ANY product vision?

this case is crystal clear:
nobody use that plugin ,a plugin that quoting his tooltip produce ""Special
effects that nobody understands" :-),

This plugin   replace all the original pixel of your photo with  a abstract
thingy, a "special effects", hard to define and unpredictable , ...but that
always look as crap (

Why carry its code in gimp 2.8 , just delete the "van-gogh-lib.c file from the
code (BTW is in gimp/plug-ins/common ) would took less developer time then a
further debates

The never used van gogh filter is in gimp from 1996 and survived all debates
and clean up  till now

--
photocomix (via gimpusers.com)