hi しげっち,

> I'm recently implementing a GUI features that is inspired by the ideas
> of the GIMP UI brainstorming.

you do realise that the brainstorm is a 'sandbox' for ideas?

the deal is that everything is OK within a brainstorm (so ideas
keep flowing) but that is only _within_ the brainstorm.

when making UI, one has to:

1) identify the issue
2) find the cause
3) evaluate everything (including brainstorm ideas)
4) make a solutions model
5) design the UI
6) develop it

and although things go a bit jumbled every once in a while,
this is what happens here at GIMP.

steps 2–5 are what I bring to any project and customer I work with.
sometimes these steps are necessarily heavyweight because of
the complexities involved, sometimes as lightweight as 15 mins of
thinking and an email or irc exchange. it depends...

for the patches you sent, only step 1 and 6 were done: 1 by the
brainstorm participant and 6 by you. the steps in the middle are
this is not criticism of you, most (99.9%) of the software world does
not do and know any better than that.

but here at GIMP we do better. other folks here will be able to
judge the quality of your code, but I can see your enthusiasm to
work on UI issues that matter, and we have a backlog of that.

I am gathering resources at the moment to get more done for
GIMP on the UI design side, we could use your enthusiasm
to have more power on the development side.

             man + machine interface works

         http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture