On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> make it (eg) "its1", "its2" etc... and use an english catalog. We probably
> need an en_UK catalog anyway, to correct all these wrong spellings for
> colour ;->

I have an easy solution. Let us change gettext a little so that it takes
another argument, context. This argument would be ignored when no i18n
takes place, but would be taken into account for the indexing in the .po
files. For instance, we could have:

free | beer    -> gratuit
free | freedom -> libre

This of course needs patches to the gettext suite of utilities, but this
is I think the best solution for the thing.

David Monniaux     Tel: +33 1 44 32 20 66    Fax: +33 1 44 32 20 80
Laboratoire d'informatique de l'École Normale Supérieure,
45 rue d'Ulm - 75230 PARIS cedex 5 - FRANCE