On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 12:11:19PM +0100, David Monniaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have an easy solution. Let us change gettext a little so that it takes
> another argument, context. This argument would be ignored when no i18n
> takes place, but would be taken into account for the indexing in the .po
> files. For instance, we could have:

This sounds (technically) ugly. However, if you can embed that info in the
string (i.e. technically only one arguments), then it sounds nice.

> free | beer    -> gratuit

i.e. "free\0beer" (although C will have problems with \0 so we might need
some other delimiter).

OTOH, if the extra argument is a string I could only do this in perl and
leave the ugly C detals to Daniel ;)

Another way to view this would be to embed some meta-comment into the
string, which is in addition used to key the translation.