My use case:  I use GIMP for its mult-layer features, creating images from
scratch and I want to save all my work in this multi-layer format (XCF) but
I need to send draft versions and the finished image to
friends/customers/websites etc as a flat image (e.g. an exported PNG)

So the new interface significantly helps me work much more effectively

(If I want to edit a jpg photo I normally use other tools, though I
probably only cut/crop/red eye so hardly a fair comparision)

Paul

On 3 May 2012 04:48, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>
> > It is certainly important for the authors and developers of an
> application
> > to know who their targeted audience is.
> >
> > I'm curious, though... Do you know what percentage of the people who
> > actually use GIMP now are part of that target audience?
>
> This is simply not the point.
>
> Let's face it: GIMP is mostly misused. People got used to it, because
> if they needed a free app with few extra features, they simply had no
> choice. Especially on Linux.
>
> If Pinta was released 5 years earlier, the amount of GIMP users on
> Linux would probably be a half of what it is now.
>
> Still with me?
>
> The aim is to meet the demands of professionals. Users have a choice:
> migrate to simpler apps like Pinta, migrate to complex apps with
> familiar workflow such as Krita, or stick to GIMP and adapt their
> workflows.
>
> The adaptation is really not as bad as you are trying to picture it. I
> know it, because I've gone through this two years ago, and I'm neither
> supersmart nor extraflexible.
>
> > Also, it seems to me from the stuff at the URLs you sent that the
> potential
> > size of the user base for the audience you are targeting is much smaller
> > than the potential user base of more "casual" image editors like me. Do I
> > understand correctly that you are consciously aiming to design the
> > application to be attractive primarily to that much smaller user base?
>
> It's a matter of perspective. As far as I can tell, users who try to
> think and act big gravitate to more sophisticated software. That
> automatically expands the audience (far) beyond hi-end users. But the
> development focus is still on hi-end users, because focus is
> important.
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org

Paul