I also hate the save/export feature, that does not bring any convenience at
all, and causes lots of errors when you are tying to "save" an image. In former
Gimp versions, typing the file name without extension was enough to "save" the
file in xcf.
Now, the program has gone STUPID enough to bring you a useless explanation when
you (ARRGH!) "saved" instead of "exporting" and (maybe nobody tried yet), if
you chose "export" and type xcf or no extension, you are also entitled to a
little explanation telling that you should have selected the "save" option and
saving is forbidden too. So that the fix I was about to propose (modify the
sources, renaming "export" as "save", and "save" as, say "xcf save") is not as
simple as I thought, as you also should avoid the dumb explanatory message and
allow saving in xcf even if you are "exporting".
I would like to know who introduced this new "feature": to my mind, it must be
an infiltrated saboteur from Adobe.

--
Francois (via gimpusers.com)