> From: jvrom...@squirrel.nl
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 08:28:36 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior
> Richard Gitschlag <strata_ran...@hotmail.com> writes:
> > It is true, however, that many professional and commercial apps do not
> > make a save/export distinction and allow you to "save" your document
> > in any supported filetype -- MS Word, for example. You can open/save a
> > document in a non-native format at any time, all you get is an extra
> > prompt when using the "Save" command which basically asks whether you
> > do want to save it in a non-native format, noting that the format
> > chosen may or may not support "some features" that your actual
> > document may or may not even use.
> The main problem is that this [non-native] file format is then silently used
> for
> subsequent saves, and that may not have been the intent.
> -- Johan

That is actually a moot point in practice - the win32 "Save" dialog always
defaults to the application's native format, so a random Save command will
always use the app's native format unless the user explicitly selects
otherwise.  Most apps will also double-check the typed filename and append a
matching extension if the user typed something else, just to prevent mistakes.
E.g. if I want to save a "filename.jpg" in MS Paint but the filetype dropdown
still said "bitmap", Paint won't save my "filename.jpg" in BMP format, it will
save "filename.jpg.bmp" in BMP format.

-- Stratadrake