>That's why you should opt for a general usage distro. Fedora, SUSE,
>Ubuntu, and probably the best IMHO, is Mint.

>If you want to play with Centos and other boutique distros, be
>prepared to do the hard yards.

CentOS/RHEL is not a boutique distro any more than Debian is.  I have been a
Fedora user since the distro began but when they went with GNOME 3, I just
couldn't stand it any longer.  I wanted stable and unchanging with long term
support.  Ubuntu TLS distros... are they also boutique?  By "boutique" I
presume you mean "small and specialized."  CentOS (rebranded RHEL) is far from
fitting that definition.  (yeah, I am a little offended but I'll get over it.)

I have had some measure of success but not before running into countless issues
with compiling and configuring.  Among the ones that stick with me is the lack
of SVG support.  I have librsvg and librsvg-devel installed as well as compiled
libraries I have installed from source to /opt/gimp-2.8.  The gimp compile
process still does not detect librsvg.  Here is the summary after running

Extra Binaries:
  gimp-console:        yes

Optional Features:
  D-Bus service:       yes
  Language selection:  yes

Optional Plug-Ins:
  Ascii Art:           no (AA library not found)
  Compressor:          yes
  Ghostscript:         yes
  Help Browser:        no (WebKit not found)
  LCMS:                yes
  JPEG:                yes
  JPEG 2000:           yes
  MNG:                 yes
  PDF (import):        Using PostScript plug-in (libpoppler not found)
  PDF (export):        yes
  PNG:                 yes
  Print:               yes
  PSP:                 yes
  Python:              yes
  Script-Fu:           yes
  SVG:                 no (librsvg not found)
  TIFF:                yes
  TWAIN (MacOS X):     no
  TWAIN (Win32):       no
  URI:                 yes (using GIO/GVfs)
  Webpage:             no (WebKit not found)
  Windows ICO:         yes
  WMF:                 yes
  XJT:                 yes
  X11 Mouse Cursor:    yes
  XPM:                 yes

Plug-In Features:
  EXIF support:        yes

Optional Modules:
  ALSA (MIDI Input):   yes
  Linux Input:         yes (GUdev support: no (libgudev not found))
  DirectInput (Win32): no
  Color Correction:    yes
  Soft Proof:          yes

  Use xvfb-run         no (not found)

It is also of interesting note that I have also attempted to resolve the
poppler library lack without success.  I just don't know what is missing from
all of this.

erroneus (via gimpusers.com)