On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 22:03 -0800, bgw wrote:
> On 02/06/2013 08:08 PM, Myke C. Subs wrote:
> > Is there a way to make it automatically save in ".xcf.gz" format instead
> [...]
>  The time taken vs the total compression
> makes the exercise questionable in my mind.

Sure, it should be a choice; it depends how much money you have to spend
on disk space. Some images compress more than others; you can aso
try .bz2 and see if it's better for you. For some people a 20% saving is
well worth it, others want 50% or more; I don't really notice much of a
speed difference. Saving (sorry, Exporting) as PNG or JPEG is much
slower.

All GIMP's formats (even xcf) are lossy - at the very least you lost
undo history, which is one reason why people might save lots of copies
of a file as they are working.

If you're saving to a network disk you might even find the compressed
files save faster.

Liam