On 02/11/2013 05:54 PM, jfrazie...@nc.rr.com wrote:

---- maderios <mader...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/11/2013 05:03 PM, jfrazie...@nc.rr.com wrote:

- Libreoffice : the same

This is a selective functionality comparison on your part based upon a specific
file format(s) or lack of knowledge of the actual product you are comparing.
For example, Libreoffice has PDF as an EXPORT option, NOT an option under the
"save/Save as" menu item.

My LibreOffice Draw 3.5.4.2  Debian Wheezy
I have a "save" option
and "save as" options for the formats otg odg sxd std fodg
and I can export as pdf, gif,jpeg and many other image file formats
http://www.libreoffice.org/features/draw/
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Draw_Guide

Though I was actually thinking of Write, the concepts are exactly the same.  How is the
above functionality any different from GIMP?  You open a file of some type in GIMP and
GIMP creates it as a new .xcf file.   It expects that you to save in that format to
maintain GIMP features.   Likewise, when you open ad file in Draw(such as .jpg), Draw
creates new .odg file and expects you to save in that format to maintain Draw features.
When you "save" it back out, it expects you to go to the Export menu instead of
the Save menu.   Again, how is that different from what GIMP is now enforcing, with the
exception of Draw supporting a few additional save formats?

Example with gimp
file => open =>  nut.png
adjust contrast => ok
I want to save it
I can't...
XCF ?
But I don't want  xcf now.....
Ok , I export
#########################
many many many files
=> export
ok
#########################
many files later
=> export
Arghhh......................................:
what happens....
"You can use this dialog to export to various file formats. If you want to save the image to the GIMP XCF format, use File‚ÜíSave instead."

Here is the point: you have to remember/watch what kind of file you're working on. It's possible for some images, not for a LOT OF files. When you work with many different kind of files, you can't spend your time to watch and to change your SHORTCUT

To make life easier, I therefore propose two commands:
save and save as.
With only 2 shortcuts save (S) and save as (U ) you could save all kinds of files you want....
S => it "saves" the file or overwrite it
U => it "saves as", depending on the extension you want to choose, or the new name you choose.

--
Maderios
"Art is meant to disturb. Science reassures."