Well the issue is academic now as, once GIMP ran and I tried it, it got
uninstalled asap. Originally installed because a 'photo magazine described it as
'the closest thing to Photoshop you'll find'. I guess the reviewer was taking
some substance or alcohol...! I often find that these open-source applications
attract a certain type of geek who are more interested in the development of
software rather than the practical use of the program to the end user. As an
'end user' I rate GIMP as next to useless.

I would really be interested in why you think GIMP is 'useless'.
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org