Sven,

> Because this decision did never happen. At least I don't remember that
> at anytime anyone ever discussed this topic. The filmgimp code slowly
> diverged from the main GIMP source code, mainly because the GIMP
> source code kept improving. Noone ever brought up the question if the
> code should be merged or even outlined a way how this could be done.
> Don't ask me why this didn't happen, but please don't claim that there
> was a decision made to discard that code.

It seems terribly careless on GIMP's part to lose three man-years of work
and not know how that happened.

> Similarily there wasn't any discussion about a code merge when the
> code was picked up again by you last year. That would have been a good
> chance to finally merge the filmgimp improvements into GIMP proper.
> But for whatever reason this discussion also never took place.

Not discussed? Are you kidding?

A code merge was discussed at length on the filmgimp-developer list in
October and November of last year. That was my earliest opportunity to
discuss it knowledgeably. I'd only been working with the code a few months
then. On November 30, 2002, I posted to the gimp-developer list my
thoughts about the prospects of a merge. You had already made a public post
there, not addressed to me, that was highly critical of me.

Maybe what you mean is I should have said more before October 2002, in July
and August 2002 when the new Film Gimp project was getting underway at
SourceForge? The GIMP lists were down for weeks during July and August of
2002.

Three months before launching Film Gimp at SourceForge, on April 9, 2002, I
announced my intention to release a source tarball and create an up-to-date
web page. That was to gimp-film, GIMP's official list for Film Gimp at the
time. No response.

In March 2002 the first story on Film Gimp appeared in Linux Journal. My
article revealed the method to coax Film Gimp out of GIMP CVS, the first
time the general public was aware where it was and how to get it.

http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5683

It was satisfying reader requests for a source tarball that led me
to becoming the project leader later.

On March 2, 2002, I posted to gimp-developer announcing my Film Gimp article
in Linux Journal. No response to my post.

Yosh (Manish Singh).is listed on gimp.org as the GIMP maintainer. I did
coordinate my Film Gimp plans with Yosh at that time. In fact, the plan then
was that would I manage Film Gimp from gimp.org. To enable that, Yosh said
he would grant me a password at gimp.org. Had that happened that would have
made me officially part of the GIMP team, but months passed and no password.

Yosh was too busy with GIMP to support me and Film Gimp. I suggested
SourceForge would be better choice, that I would just be getting in the way
at GIMP. GEGL, not Film Gimp, was where GIMP wanted to put its energy. I
also talked with Calvin Williamson, the project leader of GEGL. Everyone
agreed. As far as I knew, I was on good terms with everyone at GIMP. I
quoted Calvin about GEGL as part of my Film Gimp article in Linux
Journal. Although sometimes difficult to reach, Yosh was always polite to
me.

Your name isn't listed as the project manager of GIMP. Not then. Not today.
In fact, in checking "Authors" at http://www.gimp.org/the_gimp_about.html
you aren't listed at all. Contacting you didn't occur to me because I had
never heard of you.

My name, on the other hand, was everywhere. Although I didn't know of you,
you should have known of me from the very start. I was prominently in the
press and posting to GIMP lists regarding Film Gimp. You could have
contacted me seeking my cooperation as soon as you learned of my involvement
in Film Gimp, but instead you waited. Your approach has been to attack me
from a public pulpit on the GIMP mailing lists. Your invective remarks are
not addressed to me, but advise third persons against me.

For you to suggest today that the problem was me not communicating enough
shows real cheek. The person out of the loop is you. You have admitted you
have no clue what happened to Film Gimp in 2000 when it was killed or in
2002 when it was resurrected, but that doesn't stop you from publicizing a
negative opinion of it and me.

People tend to assume I'm offended by your remarks since that appears the
intended reaction, but really I can't stop laughing. Where some imagine
Hamlet, I see Much Ado About Nothing. ;-)

Cheers,

Robin

P.S. The posts I mentioned in this note are in the archives, copies
enclosed below.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Hollywood, California
www.CinePaint.org   Free motion picture and still image editing software