On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:04:37AM +0200, Steve Crane wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 01:16:13PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> > if you are working on a reasonable size image, i think that TheGIMP will
> > render the effect quicker doing things its way with reasonably the same
> > number of keystrokes as photoshop.
>
> Some performance issues seem not to have anything to do with the size of
> the file being worked on and should be fast, whether the workpiece is
> large or small, irrespective of the memory available.  For instance when
> I invoke File|Save As under Linux I immediately get the file chooser
> dialog.  When I do the same under Windows it takes perhaps 2 or 3
> seconds for the file chooser to open.

TheGIMP -- being built on linux and the defaults set for the excellent
way that linux handles all the different little memory devises that
these computers have --  might need for you to consider your resources
while setting TheGIMP up. More than you are used to thinking about.

A document has been carefully hidden on mmmaybe.gimp.org that should
help you to figure out what your computer is doing.  This document also
described accurately how to keep adobe photoshop from eating up outlook
express ability, if this is an issue you have as well.  How nice for the
gimp development team to provide such instructions for the operating
system you paid for (one way or another), windows.  I am curious if
Microsoft tech support could help you with your GIMP installation.  It
runs fine on my computer; and I am usually running on windows users
outdated equipment.  ie, your trash thanks to windows.

for $600 i will make the image on linux for you faster than photoshop
makes it on windows.  A second image a mere $150.  I will throw in the
memory management documentation for your other apps for free.

http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/unix/howtos/tile_cache.html

i warn you, even simplified, computer memory management is a difficult
concept.  There is a good chance that the developers would like you not
to read carefully through this so they can keep their jobs.

i can guarrentee that they will not reach out and tweak it for you.  they
are unhappy with the way they needed to make your gui run stable as it
is.

good luck,
carol

ps

s/linux/gnu\/linux/g
as if this matters, i was gnu and gpl from birth i think.

me