On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 01:47:47PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Please ignore Carol's ramblings. She is talking mainly bullshit here.
> Albeit the fact that she has a gimp.org email address she is not
> talking on the behalf of the GIMP developers. At least when she's in
> this particular mood.

Thanks Sven, I was about to reply to Carol about her message but I won't
bother now.  I must admit that when I first read it I did a double take
and thought "WTF, does Adobe pay this woman?"  I'm sure she is trying to
be helpful in her own way but given the poison pen she writes with this
may not be a good thing.

> Please don't get a wrong impression from Carol's reply. We are
> definitely interested to hear about your in your problems. Even though
> most GIMP developers are using some flavour of UNIX, we are still
> willing to make GIMP work well on the Win32 platform.

I am not at all unhappy with GIMP's performance (using default settings)
on Windows XP other than the fact that I have noticed a lag before the
file chooser opens when using File|Save As.  I am a developer myself and
work on Windows, so I have GIMP on it for the odd occasions when I need
to do something graphical at work.  Because I don't use it much I
haven't bothered trying to optimise it but I will try doing so to see
what difference it makes.

My comment that I didn't think available memory would impact the time to
open the file chooser for Save As, revolves around the way I do this in
my own programs.  I do no processing before displaying the file chooser
and if the GIMP behaves the same there is no reason for there to be a
lag.  If however, some processing is done before displaying the dialog
then some delay might be expected.

Regards.
--
Steve Crane