hello back,
On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 01:48:06AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > now, to the new file selector.  there is a huge difference between the
> > file selector in gimp-2.0 and the file selector in gimp-2.1.  the newer
> > of the two is an invalid (sickly person) compared to its proud
> > ancestors.  i have tried to make a tutorial that shows what the old file
> > selector can do and what the new one stuggles to do.  the person who
> > designed this is being paid by a company -- it would be nice to see some
> > evidence that it is not an attempt to destroy free software.  i cannot
> > find this evidence, however.
> Your comparison is interesting but the gimp-user list is of course the
> wrong address for complaints about GtkFileChooser. We can't really
> change the way this widget works. Why don't you send this mail to
well, it is not a complaint on this list.  it is supposed to be more for
educational purposes.  there are so many different operating systems
using the gimp that some of the nice things are not known and also being
design "out of existenence".

as far as complaining to the proper channels, been there done that.
volunteers flew me thousands of miles.  when i asked the Ximian employee
about this decision, he made it sound like all of these new users (these
gimp users, many on this list) were too stupid to understand how to work
the old file selector and that this ability needed to be hidden from the

i consider the problem to be more of a lack of knowledge of the capacity
and am trying to educate users who are not simpletons to use it.

going through the right channels, i was told by [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
fork the gimp tool kit.

education is the only thing that will help me.  i think that the gimp
users are smart enough to be able to use such a complicated thing.