On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 08:02 +1030, David Gowers wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 3:47 AM, Michael J. Hammel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This is accomplished by adding wrinkles to the skin.  To do this, you
> > create your skin layer first.  Then add a layer on top of that and fill
> > it with the shading for the wrinkles.  Shading (also known as shadow
> > maps) is always done with a layer that is desaturated.  The shading
> > layer is then blended with the layer below using one of the layer blend
> > modes, often Grain Merge, Multiply or Overlay though others may work
> > better depending on the skin texture.
> I must disagree -- for something with multiple color layers, like
> skin, it generally looks better to use some coloration in order to
> make the shadows (for example, with Grain merge and the sample picture
> provided, I might use a mild reddish-pink tint. Though I admit this is
> mainly effective when you draw the shadows cumulatively (eg. as a
> repeated application of this reddish-pink with Grain Merge drawing
> mode to a layer originally filled with RGB 128,128,128).

True, but that's something you learn to do after you've learned what
shadow maps do and I don't think the original poster was familiar with
those yet.  My feeling is that it's a little easier to understand what
the shadow map is doing if you can see it's nothing but levels of light
and dark (re: a desaturated layer).  Adding color is an extension to

I actually learned to do exactly what you suggest by first learning
shadow maps and then tinkering with the process.

So I guess you can modify my answer to change "always" to "often,
especially when you're first learning shadow maps".  :-)
Michael J. Hammel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>