>Aren't most GNU/Linux distributions installing by default a mail
>transfer agent like exim or postfix? Debian at least does this, and then
>the plug-in works.

Please consider that a mail server also has to be configured which is often a
non-trivial thing that can't be expected from a normal desktop user.

>Maybe the solution would be to change the plug-in in order it calls the
>preferred mail user agent, for example evolution or Thunderbird? This
>would make it useful after all.

As Sven already said, I think xdg-email would be the best solution. GIMP just
would have to execute "xdg-email --attach <filename>"

Richard H. (via www.gimpusers.com)