Richard H. wrote:
>> Aren't most GNU/Linux distributions installing by default a mail
>> transfer agent like exim or postfix? Debian at least does this, and then
>> the plug-in works.
> Please consider that a mail server also has to be configured which is often a
> non-trivial thing that can't be expected from a normal desktop user.
>> Maybe the solution would be to change the plug-in in order it calls the
>> preferred mail user agent, for example evolution or Thunderbird? This
>> would make it useful after all.
> As Sven already said, I think xdg-email would be the best solution. GIMP just
> would have to execute "xdg-email --attach <filename>"
Setting up exim4 isn't all that hard to do.

Run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config as root.  Follow the instructions and
set Exim up to use a smart host to send email.  It doesn't have to
listen on any port except  Set up the smart host as the smtp
server for your add your user name and
password as follows to a single line in /etc/exim4/passwd.client :
"" with url being your ISP's mail
server and the username and password being your username and password
for your ISP's mail server.  Don't include the quotes as I used them
only for delineation from the rest of the sentence.

Restart exim4, or edit /etc/exim4/passwd.client before running
dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, and the email function in Gimp will work
as it should.