I've read the documentation several times and every tutorial I could get my
hands on, but I still can't make any sense out of how to properly use

For example, I want to merge two pictures, by taking some regions from one
picture and some from another. I though I could do this by making unwanted
regions transparent - this seems obvious. I also tried some other techniques
basd on a few tutorials, but none seemed to work well.

But I simply don't get results that make any sense. The vagueness of the
docuemntation and being unable to find any other guide is not helping.

Is this a case where GIMP simply makes it so difficult compared to Photoshop
that I'd be better off buying a Windows machine and using Photoshop?

I wanted to use GIMP for my photo manipulation. I had assumed after all these
years that it was usable. I hope I'm not forced to go to Photoshop over
something simple like this.

If there's no chance that GIMP can be used as efficiently as photoshop,
perhaps it would be sensible to give up sooner rather than later. But this is
a big expense for me, at the least I'll need to buy a second machine, or give
up on Linux on the desktop altogether.

It's so tragic that after all these years, GIMP's user interface has seen no
improvement. I had hoped that at least the documentation would be useful.

thomas w. (via www.gimpusers.com)