I am using Gimp 2.67
I am modifying textures for a video game. The video game applies a special
effect to the areas of the texture that are not 100% transparent or 100%
opaque.

I am trying to make certain parts of the texture 100% transparent so that it
is invisible in-game and not subject to the special effect.

I have used the eraser, rectangular select, and free select tools, and they
all have the same problems.

Basically, what happens is that the area outside of my selections or erasing
also seems to be affected. I have antialiasing off for the free select tool. I
have hard-edge on for the eraser, and all the brush dynamics turned off for
it. The eraser is at Circle (05) which is a square, at the scale of 1.00 I
have tried using Select>Sharpen

The rectangular select tool has antialiasing checked and greyed out, so that
I cannot uncheck it.

I believe this was introduced in one of the most recent versions (I recently
"upgraded' to gimp 2.67) as I don't remember seeing that in a version I used
to use, I think it was 2.1 or 2.2. I also don't remember having this problem
with those versions.

The areas outside of my selections and erasing are being affected, so that
in-game the special effects are applied to areas I don't want them to be. I
have looked in the alpha channel, and there appears to be no actual
transparency in those areas, it seems to be solid black.

Is there anyway to ensure that the areas outside of my selections will not be
affected?

Also, I would like to know how to copy the exact alpha channel from one image
to another image, without the original alpha channel being changed. I have
tried doing this before but the alpha channel always looks different when
pasted into the second image.

Thanks!

--
Frank Shoemaker (via www.gimpusers.com)