There are a few things that GIMP needs to be competitive with PS.

1) A decent batch processor and I'm not talking about learning a whole
programming language to do so.
2) 16 bit color.
3) Better zonal control so one can adjust light and dark areas of
a digital photo more easily so as to enhance shadow detail and reduce
highlight blowout.
4) A better raw converter.  UFRaw is good but could be improved a lot.