>I've one more observation to add to this.
>BIG FAT DISCLAMER: Please, _PLEASE_ don't turn this into just another flame
>Anyway, I don't know if it's just me or not, but Gimp's extremely
>stable on Linux. I've seen it crash maybe two or three times in past
>year, and it certainly never crashed when saving images... ever. So,
>it's another option for those that are having stability issues with
>I first noticed this difference when I was told by a windows user
>about performance issues with Gimp on Windows, and I installed it at
>work to see what it was about. And it is quite different, especially
>comparing the antiquated Windows XP to latest Linux distros in 64-bit
>I myself run Arch Linux, 64-bit version, with Gimp 2.6.8 (in fact the
>modified version called Painters Studio), and stability- or
>performance-wize, I've got nothing to complain about, and have
>certainly never lost any work.

I'm running the latest Ubuntu and it's probably more of a hardware issue than
a software. When I say "Gimp crashed," I mean that it froze up and then
exited. I don't know what happened besides that. I have a super old computer
with three quarters of a gig of ram and it probably was having a hard time
processing such a big image and shut it down. I don't really know. I was
working with a 3000 x 3000 image with several layers; it was probably too much
for the PC to handle, not Gimp. The file's gone, either way. :(

Jade (via www.gimpusers.com)