On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, alex dekker wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> >>I have not tried the gimp-extra- fonts rpm as I have trouble downloading
> >>it at home and can do so tomorrow when I'm at achool.
> >
> >IIRC that package is just freefonts + sharefont in one file.
> >
> >>Food for thought  -- I can live with it like it is but for the future I'd
> >>like to have an rpm to install it.  How do I change that one little  thing
> >>in the script.  of Maybe make rpms for other fonts???

Well, I figured out how to install fonts in RH6.0/6.1. It's really not
hard, as long as you know where the font server hides. What you should do
is download the freefonts & sharefonts from the gimp site, and the URW
package if you like. If you get the URW fonts, get the fonts.dir file
(downloadable from http://www.gimp.org/fonts.html). Download/move all the
tarred fonts files into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/. Make separate
directories for sharefont and freefont in this directory (not the Type 1
directory), but the URW fonts will create their own directory for
you. Move the URW fonts.dir into the URW directory. Copy the freefont &
sharefont fonts.dir (each tar file creates one in its own directory) to
fonts.scale - these two files are the exact same, but you need them both.

Once you've done the above, you're ready to play around with the font
server. The server hides in /etc/X11/fs/ and you need to edit the file
"config" in that directory. Make sure that you put the 75dpi and 100dpi
fonts in the list before URW, freefont & sharefont. My config file looks
like this:

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/sharefont,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1

After you've done all this, restart X, and then the fonts should be
available for Gimp and pretty much every other X program that uses the RH
font server. You can download and install TryeType fonts using this same
method - just put a new line in the catalogue section of
/etc/X11/fs/config.

        Jonathan Erbe           aka             Erunantion
                     The Annals of Middle-earth
                <"http://rush.baked.net/~jerbel/">
             E-mail me at <"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">