Bruce Burden wrote:

> > The cable that connects the scanner to the card, is with 25 pins plugs, where
> > my Adaptec is with 50 pins.
> >
>         Okay, that is what I have on my SCSI that my scanner is connected
>    to. The card is an Adaptec 2910/aic7850 family. The Adaptec the disks
>    are on is also a 50 pin external connector.
> >
> >                             I have then tried with another cable 25/50 pins -
> > still no result. The scanner itself har to plugs, one called 'computer' with
> > 25 pins, and the other called 'SCSI' with 50 pins. That too dosn't work with
> > the Adaptec.
> >
>         Okay, the back of the scanners might be the approach to take.
>    Please list the connectors in the back of both your film scanner
>    and flatbed scanner. I know you listed them above, but I am trying
>    get a better picture what is back there. And, while we are at it,
>    tell us what you have for SCSI cables, too.

The filmscanner is connected with a 50/50 high density cable
The Mustek has a 25/25 DB cable.

>         SCSI cables - The Mustek(?) scanner sounds like it is a standard
>    25 pin "Fast SCSI" connector at one end. It looks like a large serial
>    port connector (DB-25 connector, I think it is called), not the small
>    9 pin serial port connector. Now, which connector is the on the other
>    end, the Centronics connector (about 4cm long, one slot in the middle
>    with wire contacts on either side of the slot) or the 50 pin high-
>    density connector (looks like your standard female serial connector,
>    but with more pin holes in it)?

I have tried to connect the Mustek with my 50/50 high density cable (instead of
the filmscanner) to the Adaptec controller, but at boot-time, I did'nt even get
past the start-up test of the SCSI.

>         And, again, please describe the ports on the back of the scanner.
>    Is the 50 pin connector the Centronics, or the high density connector?

On the filmscanner, there are two identical 50 pins high density connectors
On Mustek there are one 50 pins high density (described SCSI port) and one DB-25
connector (described Computer), and is the one that works (under Windoze).

>         What I am hoping is that the film scanner has a 25 pin female
>    connector on it that you can connect the cable from your flat-bed
>    scanner to, and daisy-chain your scanners from the Adaptec SCSI
>    controller:

Sorry to say it, but I have tried it, with 'bad' result. But maybe it was because
there are no terminators at all (besides those "auto..")

>       SCSI                HP
>     controller          scanner
>         |                  |
>         O------------------O                    Mustek
>         |                  |                    scanner
>                            |                       |
>                            O-----------------------O
>                            |                       |
>    Hopefully you can make sense of the crude ASCII artwork. :-) To do
>    this, you will need to remove any SCSI terminators from the HP, and
>    leave the terminator in place on the Mustek scanner. In adition,

>   you will need to insure the SCSI ID's are unique on the two scanners.

>    There is generally a window with a number on it, with buttons top
>    and bottom, which change the number in the window, or a little numbered
>    wheel which you rotate to change the ID. I wouldn't be surprised if
>    both devices are set at "6" as the factory default, so they won't work
>    together until you change one of the ID's.

The filmscanner is located on ID 2, and there is a CD-burner attached to the
controller on ID 4. I can't find any ID for the Mustek.

>         Also, go to Adaptec's web site, and check the cable options/
>    connectors there. That will positively identify your conectors if
>    you have any doubts. Hopefully there is a way to get things working
>    without requiring any more cables or controllers. :-)
>                                                                 Bruce

Somehow I think that I have to get another (slow) controller with a 25 pins extern
connector, that Linux will/can recognize - but which?

Thanks at lot for your patience and help
sincerely Mogens Jęger