I should probably start by clarifying that we're not a bunch of Ubuntu
zealots. :-)

Promoting Ubuntu to Windows users is seen as a pragmatic solution.  I
personally prefer Gentoo, but handing a newbie a Gentoo install CD isn't
likely to draw him into the fold.  You could argue that other distros (ie
Fedora) could serve this equally well, but we're getting free Ubuntu CDs and
other community promotion resources, where Redhat seems more focused on
marketing to businesses.

I think a Fedora SIG would be a great idea, too, if there's enough people
interested.

The purpose of the LoCo is to introduce Ubuntu to Windows users.  We're not
for promoting it to existing Linux users, and that topic's covered on the
LoCo faqs.  The LoCo is primarily online; IRC, mailing list, wiki - the only
meatspace functions we're likely to conduct are in-person meetings among
members (Ubuntu /activists/, not general users) and having a presence at
tabling-type events.

The purpose of the SIG is for Ubuntu users to meet, get help on problems
they've hit, workshops, presentations, etc.  More general GNU/Linux topics
(applications, programming languages, etc) are best left to other GNHLUG
SIGs and local chapters.  Every 6 months, for example, an "upgrading"
workshop covering new features and getting help with problems encountered.
Other workshops could include managing alternative package sources, fixing
configuration issues, presenting less common Ubuntu distros and installs
(MID edition, Edubuntu, installing on an EEE)..

The Ubuntu SIG would also serve as a resource for people obtaining Ubuntu
through Dell computers and other computer retailers providing it
pre-installed.  The sorts of general questions and problems new Ubuntu users
are likely to hit are often unique to Ubuntu and not frequently handled by
the existing GNHLUG chapters - it's unreasonable to expect chapters to run
workshops such as "Upgrading to 8.10 - why, how, what problems to expect"
every 6 months, or be prepared to support Ubuntu-specific configuration
issues post-upgrade, etc.

Of course there's crossover - most if not all of the LoCo membership would
be heavily involved in the SIG, and the SIG could handle things like group
Ubuntu CD purchases better than the LoCo could.  The two groups would be
separate, I believe we'll be seeing many new GNHLUG members joining with the
SIG as their primary "chapter" who are not very interested in Ubuntu
activism.