+grow

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:

> But it already there ... it is even WG document ..
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-registered-
> wide-bgp-communities/

i'm unclear how this is helping this dicussion.

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Nick Hilliard <n...@foobar.org> wrote:
>
>> Robert Raszuk wrote:
>> > ‚ÄčIf something as you admit is critical to operators to run the network
>> > shouldn't it be maintained by IANA registry rather then sit on private
>> > web sites ?
>>
>> if you are seriously suggesting this, then we look forward to your
>> Internet Drafts.

I think nick/jared/gert/jzp/mikael (all operators) have all said that
registering the usecases today isn't helpful, that some of these usecases
are not public (by design) and that they have evolved over time.

I'd like to see the generalized set of these captured in a
document/reference though, which is something grow can / should do ... and
then use that as the requirements set going forward (updated as Gert/etc
find new requirements of use to their networks). Getting focused on
byzantine corner cases isn't helpful, so generally useful requirements
should be a goal. This should make the IDR side of life simpler and it
should help vendors stop telling me, mikael, jared all: "Hey you're the
first to ever ask for this, wow!" (because actually we've had to configure
these things between us... so we know we're all asking for this 'feature' -
insert feature-du-jour-discussion)

-chris