From: Joshua Koenig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 12:26 PM
To: zachary rosen
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Zephyr Teachout; Jon Lebkowsky; Ka-Ping Yee
Subject: Re: [hackers] Privacy control for profiles

>>> We talked about this with Zephyr, and the deal is - if DFA run
>>> Deanster
>>> then it cannot handle Authentication for the Nodes or they would
have
>>> be vetted by DFA (ie official) so I don't think this is possible.
>>
>> What about the opposite direction? Can unofficial nodes act as
>> single-signons for Deanster? All this implies is that Deanster will
>> trust an external source for identity validation, a necessary
>> component
>> of any distributed identity framework. To put it another way, how is
>> this different from Deanster accepting MS Passport validation?
>
> I don't see any problem with the opposite direction.  THere shouldnt
be
> any bad implications of Deanster using trusted node logins that I can
> think of.  The issue with nodes using Deanster logins is that - if the
> nodes authentication is "controlled" by "official" DFA services, then
> the
> nodes must become official / vetted as well.  This make sense?

It does make some sense. I think it's a little over-cautious (e.g. MS
doesn't have to "endorse" every site that wants to use Passport) but
it's not that big a deal. Having it work by allowing local Nodes to be
trusted sources for identity is probably better anyway. More of a
foundation for distributed architecture.

cheers
-josh