From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Joshua Koenig
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 2:03 PM
To: Aldon Hynes
Cc: Zephyr Teachout; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [hackers] Draft Deanster Design Doc

> Independent of the terminology, I believe it is crucial
> for any sort of online community building tool to facilitate
> interaction
> between the users above and beyond merely listing information.  I am
> concerned from what I am hearing, that such functionality seems to be
> missing from 'Deanster' and I feel that needs to be addressed.

What you see now is an attempt at a first iteration of this service. I
find the three-step development methodology of "crawl, walk, run" to
generally be helpful.

Right now all the campaign has is a bank of email addresses and no way
to connect them. Step one is to let people put a face to the name, seek
each other out and make connections. Step two will be allowing them to
express themselves a little more through the system. Step three will be
layering on the xpertweb tools to handle reputation and tasks.

> It may be that it is best addressed by avoiding too strong a
> bifurcation
> between 'Deanster' and 'DeanSpace'.

Indeed. When it comes to creating voluminous content and original forms
of expression, we need to trust that people will find a place for that
in the wider deanspace (or just online in general), and can link to
that via their profile. This is the same as how I link to my own blog
from my ryze profile.

> P.S.  Personally, I think the Friendster UI sucks.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. The layout on Ryze is
highly overcrowded and chaotic to my eye. Friendster is a lot more
simple.

cheers
-j