On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 01:09:57AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> FWIW, I've noticed that there is actually *more* spam than what I do
> receive, simply because my trivial procmail filters catch about half
> of it. I'll see if I find a way to port them to postfix in order to
> reduce this amount for everyone to the level I'm seeing on my side.

With Benoit's help, we have converted most of these filters and applied
them to the list. They don't generate false positives on my side so they
should be safe.

Also, please let me post a few numbers. On Friday, the server rejected
5495 emails at the connection level, 206 based on a few correctness rules,
and only delivered 83 to the mailing list, 37 of which were valid, and 10
of which were valid but caused by someone who intentionally wants to harm
the list, which leaves 36 spam out of 5737, which is 0.63%. I had to delete
about 10-20 of them by hand from my box, I don't remember, which indicates
that the extra filters could catch about half of the remaining ones on
average, without false positives.

Personally, I consider that if we kill 99.5% of spam and only let 0.5%
leak through for the sake of not getting any false positives, it's already
reasonably good for an open mailing list. I know that some people won't
share this point of view, but that suits my goals for this list.