My must say I haven't tried SRC itself but have tried others and
they lag badly due, which I assume is due to use of comparison
in timestamps and / or inaccurate sleep periods.

With regards trading apps do they really require events to happen
with ms accuracy? I cant picture a scenario for FD which would cause
an issue if it happened +-a few ms.

In contrast I would personally be very surprised if there was any
game server that wouldn't see at least some detrimental effect from
having inaccurate timing. You would only have to be doing any sort
of time difference calculations in a simulation for an clock
frequency variations / sleep variations to show noticeable issues.

Its very similar to how game servers present issues when run on
hardware with any sort of power saving, that makes use of variable
clock frequencies, enabled.

Would be great if some from Valve could comment on the potential
issues for timestamps going backwards or inaccurate sleep intervals
on a regular basis would be for HLDS / SRC based games?

    Regards
    Steve