I don't need to know more about Valve than you do. All I need is logic.

Patch: MOTD blocked for all quickplay users
What Happened: Quickplay users see no ads. Non-quickplay users can see ads.

Patch: Quickplay defaults to official servers
What Happened: Quickplay users see no ads. Non-quickplay users can see ads.

In terms of ads, there is absolutely no difference. It is obvious Valve was
concerned about having to police pay2win and similar mods.

Even before ads existed on TF2, fake players was rampant. Saigns and
Nighteam both never worried about players leaving in droves when they saw
donators shooting 10x faster. And they still ended up with the most
players. They did not need to worry about convincing everyone to pay. You
only need 1 out of 1000 players to pay to make a profit. That's how
free2play works.  How late did you join TF2 that you don't even know this?

With or without ads there is an incentive to cheat the system. Even now you
have servers breaking the rules. This is an observable fact. This is not an
opinion.

So actually no. You are still wrong. And beating of the dead horse of ads
isn't going to bring community servers back. Next thing you know Valve will
just remove the motd and do nothing else.