From: Phillip Allen-Baines <phillipa...@gmail.com>
Date: 2016-09-20  3:09 PM  (GMT-06:00)
To: Sean Greenslade <s...@seangreenslade.com>
Cc: hugin-ptx@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [hugin-ptx] Multi row product panoramas

Fantastic, thankyou.
Ok I am not sure how to put my replies below the quoted text. But trying.
Is there a program that I can use to assemble multi row 360 views.
I have a program that does single row 360's (fly arounds) as well as the
automated hardware that comes as an automated product photography package and I
sell the imagery commercially.

As such I apologise for any incorrect terms however my focus is not verbage it
is simply to find a program that can assemble a presentation of a multi row 360
that, when it (the program) pumps out an HTML5 or flash image, enables the
viewer to see 360 x 360.
That to me means all the way around on more than one plane, like a spherical
panorama but viewed from the outside of the sphere.
Take for example a shoe. I want to be able to look all the way around that shoe
along its horizontal plane as well as its vertical plane so I can see the top
and bottom as if I am holding it in my hand. UX stuff you know. Its all about
UX in online sales.
Thanks again to all that can help.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Sean Greenslade <s...@seangreenslade.com>
wrote:
> > Can you be more specific? Perhaps provide an example of what you are

> > trying to do.

> > In general, there are two types of panoramas: spherical and mosaic. If all

> > the photos are taken from the same point in space, it is spherical. If the

> > camera moves (e.g. with aerial photography), it is mosaic.

> > Now, you don't need to do a full sphere for it to be a spherical pano.

> > Doing a single row of photos is a partial sphere.

> > Multi-row (or multi-column) partial spheres are quite possible in Hugin

> > with the same techniques as full spheres.

> Hi Sean

> Thank you very much for your answer, I appreciate you spending time to help

> me as a complete stranger. It looks like somehow I did not post my full

> question. I would like to learn how to do full spherical 360's of products.

> By this I mean placing an object on a turntable and taking photographs as

> it rotates. I currently have a Chinese system and it is in Chinese but also

> does not support multi-row stitching.

> Multi-row stitching should enable me to create a 3d kind of effect so a

> viewer can see the object in 360 x 360 however does not require CAD. Can I

> make this in Hugin? or do you know some open source program I can do this

> with?

> Again, thanks in advance to all and everyone.

Please make sure to reply-all to keep the mailing list in the loop, and

also try to put your replies below the quoted text.

Turntables are completely different from panoramas. The way they work is

by switching between separate, descrete images like a video does. You

cannot "stitch" these images because there is nothing to stitch; they

are each of a different perspective.

Panorama stitching is basically the act of simulating having a wider

lens (or in the case of mosaics, a larger flatbed scanner). A turntable

360, on the other hand, simulates flying a camera around an object.

There is a technique called slit-scan that may be causing some

confusion, as it technically is a form of panorama, however I do not

think it is what you want:

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/03/slitscanhead.jpg

In short, you can't stitch turntable flyarounds. You just need a viewer

that can play your normal images in sequence.

--Sean

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CAOvMHSA3A0asqi-w%2Bh6K5Q8C59ZY7BuaDrD%2BEQ8Weo2ZF7kc3A%40mail.gmail.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/j8hm7vgg1blh8ln51276fnuh.1474431430377%40email.android.com.