Brian,

In regards to the '3270' or 'console' setting, that is very specific to z/OS. On z/VSE and z/VM the consoles are set to '3270' in the ICC configuration. Setting the value to 'console' for them will lead to problems. Yet, on z/OS, you must set the field to 'console' handle to some quirk that z/OS has as it relates to consoles.

So, back to your question: "Why?", because z/OS again used something non-standard in the operating system.

(As someone that works across all three of the operating systems, I see this often. z/OS plays by it's own house rules, not the rules printed inside the box top.)

Tony Thigpen