From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Bob Bridges
Sent: Saturday, May 1, 2021 5:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: And the survey says...

Caution! This message was sent from outside your organization.

Pan Skorupka, I'm not sure whether I'm about to agree or disagree about FTP.  I
use FTP as much as possible for file transfer, but I don't understand why a
terminal emulator needs it built in:  What's wrong with just using Windows FTP
and MVS FTP?  Which is maybe what you're saying.

One reason I like FTP so much is that IND$FILE can be so clunky if you have
more than one or two files to transfer.  Most emulators provide a way to set up
multiple transfers, but only manually - that is, I have to add each file to the
collection, one at a time.  How is that better than doing the file transfer one
at a time.  Unless I'm going to be doing the same transfers many times, of
course, but that's never the case, for me.  What I really want is to set up a
list of 40 or 50 filenames, and provide that list to the utility.  I can do
that with native FTP.  I've done it for IND$FILE, too, but only by manually
creating a multiple-file transfer containing three or four filenames, then
analyzing the instructions it saved and writing a program that reproduced that
proprietary format for my 40 or 50.  It's worth the trouble only when I'm
starting out at a new client that doesn't support the mainframe FTP server, and
I need to load my REXX tools.

So when you write "scriptable IND$FILE", my ears perk up.  Someone tell me
more, please.

---

/* If...you are ever tempted to think that we modern Western Europeans cannot
really be so very bad because we are, comparatively speaking, humane -- if, in
other words, you think God might be content with us on that ground -- ask
yourself whether you think God ought to have been content with the cruelty of
cruel ages because they excelled in courage or chastity.  You will see at once
that this is an impossibility.  -C S Lewis, _The Problem of Pain_ */