charl...@mcn.org (Charles Mills) writes:
> DoS of course = denial of service, which is a large basket. I think it
> sometimes means any sort of "bring the system down or make it
> ineffective" attack, but usually I think it refers to repeatedly
> starting a TCP session and not completing it so as to tie up resources
> and make real connections impossible.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017g.html#74 Running unsupported is dangerous was
Re: AW: Re: LE strikes again
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017g.html#75 Running unsupported is dangerous was
Re: AW: Re: LE strikes again
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017g.html#80 Running unsupported is dangerous was
Re: AW: Re: LE strikes again

June 17th 1995, the internet facing servers for the largest online
service provider started crashing. they brought in lots of experts to
look at the problem ... and finally one of their people flew out to
silicon valley and bought me a hamburger after work. I ate the burger
while he described the problem ... and then I gave him a Q&D fix that
stopped the crashing (that he installed that night). I then tried to get
vendors to address the problem but found no interest. Almost exactly a
year later there was lots of publicity about service provider in
Manhatten started crashing ...  and all of a sudden vendors started
bragging on fast they reacted.

One of the issues was that there appeared to be two different groups
... those writting the code and those writting the specs ... some
particular DOS were because small gaps between what some of the code did
and what some of the specs said ... and didn't have people that did
detailed study/understanding of both.

Until he passed, the internet standards editor would let me help with
the periodic STD1 ... he also sponsored my talk at ISI/USC why internet
wasn't (yet) business critical dataprocessing