idfli...@gmail.com (scott Ford) writes:
> As a vendor i have been receiving questions about DoS attacks on z/OS ..
> I understand the idea / concept of perimeter defense , i was a Network
> Engineer in a pass life.
> But from a application point of view, if the application is using AT/TLS
> and there are Pagent protection policies for PORTS/IP addresses and the
> application is using encryption, where's the risk ???

We had worked with some number of Oracle people supporting cluster
scaleup for our HA/CMP IBM product. We then left IBM and two of the
Oracle people from this Jan1992 Ellison meeting
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

left Oracle and were at small client/server startup responsible for
"commerce server". We were brought in as consultants because they wanted
to do payment transactions on their server; the startup had also
invented this technology they called "SSL" they wanted to use; the
result is now frequently called "electronic commerce".  I had absolute
authority over server to payment network gateway but could only make
recommendations about the browser to server, some of which were almost
immediately violated, which continue to account for some number of
vulnerabilities that continue to this day. Several of the attacks have
to do with faking certificates and not recognizing the problem (enabling
things like MITM-attacks). I use to pontificate about how vulnerable
spoofing certificates were (do trust certificates from other entities)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#sslcerts

Don't know how much control that installations use for AT/TLS
certificates.

One of the early "electronic commerce" vulnerabilities was increasing
number of commerce servers moving from flat files to RDBMS based
implementations. RDBMS maintenance was much more difficult and
time-consuming. For maintenance, servers would be taken offline, some
security relaxed, maintenance performed ... and then because RDBMS
maintenance more often overran window, there was mad rush to get back
online and not all of the security were turned back on.

Then apparently for having done "electronic commerce", we get pulled
into X9 financial standards meetings to help write some number of
financial standards.  I did a financial standard and secure chip. This
was in the same era as chip&pin started ... which had lots of
vulnerabilities and took on the order of 8seconds with direct connect
power. I did chip w/o any of the vulnerabilities. Then the transit
industry asked me if the chip could also do transaction in the transit
turnstyle time limits (100milliseconds) using only contactless (RF)
power (w/o compromise any integrity). There was a large pilot of
chip&pin in the US around the turn of the century during its "Yes Card"
period ... old cartes 2002 trip report (gone 404 but lives on at the
wayback machine) ... at the end of report, it is almost as easy to
counterfeit chip as magstripe.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030417083810/http://www.smartcard.co.uk/resources/articles/cartes2002.html

At 2003 ATM Integrity Task Force meeting, Federal LEO gave "Yes Card"
presentation prompting somebody in the audience to exclaim that they
managed to spend billions of dollars to prove that chips were as
vulnerable as magstripe. In the wake of the "Yes Card" problems, all
evidence of the large US pilot appeared to evaporate and it was
speculated that it would be a long time before it was tried in the US
again.

some more discussion in this recent (facebook) IBM Retirees post
https://www.facebook.com/groups/62822320855/permalink/10155349644130856/

trivia: CEO of one of the cyber companies that participated in the booth
at annual, world-wide retail banking BAI show, had previously been head
of POK mainframe and then Boca PC:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#217
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#224

Also did pilot code for both RADIUS and KERBEROS authentication ...
some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#radius
and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#kerberos