On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM, Brian Westerman <
brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com> wrote:

> I sort of "specialize" in upgrading sites that have put off an upgrade to
> a more current OS for (quite) a while and I can tell you from experience
> with over 100 of these sites that there are LOTs of reasons for them being
> at that old release, and all (well, the vast majority any way) of them are
> not that they were lazy or stupid in any way.
>
> Sometimes (about 35% if the time) it was actually the external vendors
> that are the major contributor that kept them from being able to upgrade.
> How, you might ask?  Well, lets suppose have been using Adabas for 12 years
> and are paying $120K a year to SAG to run their software, and they made you
> an offer back in 2005 or so (when they (SAG) needed cash) that if you paid
> $600K in a one time charge, you would be able to run Adabas and Com-Plete
> and several other pieces of their suite "forever", don't laugh, I have seen
> the contracts.

​We have such contracts (old) with Compuware and BMC. We are still on a
z9BC with z/OS 1.12. Until about 2 months ago, this made complete sense
because the company had decided to "cloud-source" most of our processing.
That was recently cancelled due to "problems" with the vendor (unnamed) not
"getting it right" in all this time. Which resulted in increasing customer
complaints. First to us, then to various state "Board of Insurance"
department. That put a stick in a soft spot and got high level attention
fast. So now we are trying to undo the work of 2 years in a few months (by
Oct 1). But that costs money (increasing MSUs). And we are still desiring
"cost containment". <sigh> Things would be a bit less uncertain if the U.S.
Congress would just "do something" on healthcare - even if it is saying the
ACA is being kept as is. Can't plan a business when the rules might be
changed next week.

--
Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown