charl...@mcn.org (Charles Mills) writes:
> Frankly, in the beginnings of computing, including in DOS and OS/360,
> there was often an assumption that all users -- at least all "real"
> (TSO and development, as opposed to CICS or application) users -- were
> trusted. There was a lot of your gun, your bullet, your foot. The
> assumption was that the threat of dismissal was a sufficient limit on
> misbehavior.

well there is this ... going back around 50yrs
http://web.archive.org/web/20090117083033/http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/list-archive/0409/8362.shtml

cambridge science center ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

was running its cp/67 service, allowing both other IBM locations to use
it as well as non-employees (students, professors, etc) from
universities (mit, harvard, bu) in cambridge area.

science center had also ported apl\360 to cp67/cms for cms\apl ...
expanding workspace size (from typical 16kbytes) to virtual memory size
(required redoing apl storage management for virtual memory demand paged
environment) and adding APIs to system facilities (like file read/write)
... significantly enabling real-world applications.

One of the remote internal users was business planners at Armonk hdqtrs
who loaded the most valuable corporate assets on the cambridge system
for doing business modeling in cms\apl (and it was expected that all
such information was protected from non-authorized users ... including
students around the boston/cambridge area using the system.

note before 370 virtual memory was announced ... a document somehow
leaked to an industry publication ... which resulted in something like a
"pentagon papers" event for the corporation. For the Future System
project, they attempted a countermeasure with a significantly enhanced
vm370 system where all FS documents were softcopy and could only be read
from specially connected 3270 terminals (no file copy, printing, etc,
before ibm/pc and things like screen scraping). some FS refs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

For the initial morph of CP67 to VM370, they simplified and/or dropped
a bunch of features. During the FS period I continued to work on
360/370 stuff (even when 370 efforts were being shutdown) and would
even periodically ridicule the FS efforts. Some old email about
eventually getting around to migrating from CP67 to VM370
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

I had some weekend test time at datacenter with one of these FS "secure"
vm370 systems. I was in Friday afternoon to make sure everything was
setup for my use. They couldn't resist claiming that their system was so
secure that even if I was left alone in the machine room all weekend, I
wouldn't be able to do anything. So one of the few times I took the
bait. I asked them to disable all access from outside the machine room,
and then from the front panel I changed one byte in storage ... which
disabled all security measures. I suggested if they were serious, they
had to secure/protect all machine facilities (including front panel).

trivia: during the FS period, 370 efforts were being shutdown (lack of
370 offerings during the FS period is credited with giving clone
processor makers market foothold). Then when FS finally implodes, there
is mad rush to get products back into the 370 pipeline ... including
kicking of quick&dirty efforts for 3033 and 3081. some refs:
http://www.jfsowa.com/computer/memo125.htm

this also contributes to decision for picking up various bits&pieces
(from CSC/VM mentioned in above email) for release to customers.