From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Peter Relson
Sent: 06 December 2018 12:45
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Knowledge Centre - (was Re: Rant)

<snip>
When I do a search for a keyword,  all the search results just say 'Found
in: z/OS 2.2.0'.  Instead it would be much more helpful if it could say what
product, manual,  even chapter that each search hit was found in.
</snip>

You're describing what I think of as the original (now quite old)
implementation. Is it possible that you're not using the newest? I don't happen
to download books and then search, I just use KC on the web. When I go to KC on
the web and search, such as here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3/en/homepage.html
for z/OS 2.3, a search does show where the hit occurred. I don't think I did
anything special to make that happen.

For example, searching on "ESTAEX macro" (reformatted a bit by copy/paste),
each match shows where. This was an item of high importance raised by
customers, ISV's, and IBM users.

162  results
ESTAE or ESTAEX - Execute form
z/OS MVS
z/OS MVS Programming: Authorized Assembler Services Reference EDT-IXG ESTAE or
ESTAEX - Execute form A remote control parameter list is used in, and can be
modified by, the execute form of the ESTAE or ESTAEX macro. The control
parameter list can be generated by the list form of the ESTAE or ESTAEX macro.
Any combination of exit addr, PARAM, XCTL, PURGE, ASYNCH, TERM

For z/OS 2.3 (not yet for other z/OS releases, but perhaps coming), you might
also note the new functionality of "Scope" that lets you search just a specific
z/OS element or a specific book (those are the available levels of
granularity). We hope for even more improvement in this area, but this is a
good step. A subsequent step that we have asked for, and we hope is on the list
to be implemented, is to let you ask "and now that I have selected a match in a
particular book, make a subsequent search stay in that book"

Another thing we have asked for, and the more voices the better if this is of
interest to you too, is to provide an option by which the results are present a
la bookmanager -- namely the first level of search result being "here are the
books in which I found hits", ordered by the number of hits in each book,
presumably accomplished by sorting the search results.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
 Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

This e-mail is confidential. If you received it by mistake, please let us know
and then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose, or
distribute its contents to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail, as this
is prohibited and may be unlawful.