Thanks, Matt. That's a substantive answer, and I think confirms what I had
posited, more or less.

Put another way, it's "Windows 1.0 for z/OS". That's not a bad thing, but
remember that Windows didn't really start to be successful until it left the
"fullscreen shell over linemode" paradigm. Yes, it's 30 years later, so things
have evolved somewhat, but my concern with this approach is safety: it's bad
enough when you do the wrong thing and fall off the cliff into linemode-land.
It's worse when you do the wrong thing and you *don't* fall off the cliff, but
things keep on going.

I'm hopeful that experience with the Linux GUIs (GNOME et al.) is sufficient to
prove my fears groundless.

.phsiii